Today...was a stressful, interesting, frustrating, good day :) Ha. No, really it was exactly that. I arrived at school today thinking that I was going to administer a test for one of the classes where I am assisting, but I quickly found out that I was going to conduct an English lesson in which I was completely unprepared.....omg. So, I just ran with it, and jumped in, and it turned out ok. It's been since the summer since I have taught, but I was surprised that it went as well as it did. I did forget how draining it is to teach just for the simple fact of maintaining the student's attention for 50 min. as well as managing their behavior and conveying a concept. I do love it though, and I am realizing that I really enjoy working with middle and high school students...so I am thinking about looking into that in the future.
So, after teaching I ended up being free so I decided to take care of a few things. I went to the study center and talked with my intern coordinator, and just took care of business. I looked into borrowing a book from the small library they have there, but realized that they really don't have many that are in Spanish...so I decided to look for the real library in Valencia and see if I could get a library card. So...I went to the library, and asked if I could get a card, but they said I needed two photos of myself. I thought...sure I have my license and my student I.D. card, but those would not suffice, they wanted basically passport pictures...so I had to leave and look for a place to either copy my license and then cut the picture out, or actually take a picture and make a print ( the library did not have a photocopy machine)...So, I left the library and went hunting for a place to make copies...but yeah it was Siesta time (literally they close SO many shops from the hours of 1:30-5:00!) Today, I realized how annoying that was, cuz I walked for like 45 min. looking for a place to simply make a copy, and everything was closed. It's hard for me to understand this...(I know, I know...culture shock...) So, needless to say I was frustrated, but finally I found a place to make the copies...so I stopped to have a bite to eat, and then returned to the library, but it was closed, why? Oh...because it's Siesta....argh. Anyway, so yes I think breaking in the afternoon is cool, but not when you are trying to get something done. I could def. see my (get something done) American attitude coming out today...So, the point is, I grabbed a coffee, studied some, and then returned to the library later, where I did get my library card and was able to rent a book and movie in Spanish...so, I left happy :)
I only share my experiences today with you all because I know that it is normal to be shocked by things in every culture, and I realized that things here will not be the same as in the US, and I just need to accept that :) :)
Alrighty, adios,
Vicki
Wow!!! From 1:30 to 5:00!!! That is so crazy! I can't imagine... I mean, don't get me wrong, I would love to take an afternoon siesta, but EVERYDAY?!?! WOW! That would definitely take some getting used to. Thanks for sharing your experience chicamama!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Keila