Sunday, January 9, 2011

Get lost :)

That's been my philosophy so far in Valencia. I just sorta start walking in one direction or another, but generally towards the city center. I've found the city relatively easy to navigate...it's more of a circle...I guess it was surrounded by walls a long, long time ago, so if you know a couple landmarks it tends to be ok. Today though, I took the line 5 bus that circles the city with hopes of getting closer to where I am staying, but I ended up circling the whole city...lol. I did feel like I got a better grasp of the city as a whole though, and I found out that to circle the city only takes about 25 min. I really am loving walking the streets, and just watching people. Since I have arrived, almost all of my interaction with locals has been good. They really seem to be kind people that are willing to stop and help when needed. The Spanish spoken here is of course different, and I have been told I sound like I am from Latin America....lol.

Here are a few of the things I have noticed so far:

-Lots of people have dogs, which I find to be really interesting because most of the people live in apartments. These dogs are not small, and are allowed to "go" anywhere...which is not the most pleasant thing ever...

-Have I mentioned the coffee? I am IN LOVE with the coffee. I order a "cafe con leche" and it's just about heaven every time. It's basically espresso with steamed milk...like a latte from Starbucks, but better (GASP!), I know...I can barely admit it, but yes it is better than Starbucks. It's just fresh and good, and smaller so it stays hot, so that's awesome:) Oh, and as a side-note, they do have Starbucks here, and although I am a fan, I am going to try to avoid it for a while just so I can experience more of the local stuff.

-Food...so far I have eaten Paella which is a very Spanish thing...it's rice with pork, seafood, and veggies and it's pretty dang good. I have also eaten at a Japanese place, and for some reason it made me feel at home...go figure. They have tons of Panaderia's here... which are basically pastry shops, and they are yummy and cheap...but I fear for my flab if I eat too much! Oh, and today I ate at a Turkish place, random I know...but it really just shows me that so many places in the world have international food, things, and people.

-I have seen a McDonalds, a United Colors of Ben., Diesel, and other stores I recognize.

-I am still having trouble converting the money, so when it says 3.20 Euros I think yippie! When really I should be like, "dang" that's more than I am thinking... (I did just look it up and it was only $4.12, so that makes me feel a little better :)

In general, I like the city, and am excited to get settled and live life here for a bit. I am missing home some, especially my sweet, wonderful, awesome boyfriend, but other than that I am good :) So far I haven't taken a single picture yet, so that has gotta be a crime or something, so as soon as I do...I will upload at least one soon :)

-love you all :)

-Vicki

2 comments:

  1. I like your blog :) You are so cute when it comes to coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The food sounds amazing!!!! I can't wait to see pics! I know I'm a little late on the comments, but I'm playing catch up! :)

    ReplyDelete