Wednesday, March 9, 2011

You Can't Help But Stare

So, as of late two different teachers at the school that I am interning recommended people that I could have an "intercambio" with. An "intercambio" as mentioned in one of my previous blogs is simply a friendship between two people who want to practice each other's language. So...I welcomed their suggestions and have met up with two different people this week. Today was particularly funny because I felt like I was on a blind date or something. I was waiting for the girl to arrive and I kept staring at everyone that came near the building where we were supposed to meet. I felt bad staring at everyone, but I was trying to figure out who the girl was. It's kinda a fun thing meeting a random person just because you never know how it will go- if you will have anything to say to each other....and it's especially interesting when it involves a second language. Today was great though. The girl is the daughter of one of the teachers at my school, and she and I are around the same age, so I think we can be friends (I'm pretty happy about that because I have been rather lonely lately).

So, the city of Valencia has been undergoing some major changes in the past week because "Fallas" is next week. Fallas is a giant festival involving street food, fireworks, and the burning of giant monuments....So, small shops are opening up on the streets, Christmas-like lights are being put up, and streets are slowly getting crowded. The most interesting thing I have seen so far is the 2:00 p.m. "Masclata'" which is a firework show (less lights and more sound) that lasts for about 5-10 min. So every day at 2:00 P.M for about two weeks this goes on, and so many people come out to watch and listen to it. I have gone twice and it's interesting, but not like amazingly awesome. What is awesome though, is the amount of people that show up! So...this festival is big...like BIG, and oddly enough I think I am going to go to Madrid and miss some of it :( but the problem is that I have time off next week and I really want to see other parts of Spain...so, I figured I would try to mix it up and see Madrid for the first part of the festival and come back to Valencia for the last part of the festival. I've heard if I see two days I will have seen Fallas....so as of today, at this moment, that's my plan. If anyone knows anyone in Madrid let me know cuz I am planning on being there next week for about 3 days...

So, as far as everything else in Spain...pretty much everything is fine, apart from my missing Lee. I keep telling myself that time will fly…it’s down to 7 weeks now…crazy right?

Well anyway…

Hope all is well in everyone's life, and see you sooner than later!

Vicki

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you and everything you're getting to experience!!! I wish I could be there to see it too :( I'm glad you met this new person! I was starting to worry about you my friend! You normally hit a place running and meet so many different people, that I don't usually have to worry about you being lonely... BUT... I know that this time is very different (someone is waiting for you back home!!) :) I hope you keep enjoying every minute you're there and at the same time, time will fly :) love you friend and miss you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7 weeks left!?!? That's it!?! Well enjoy what time you have left - because it will fly by!!!

    ReplyDelete